Grilled Asparagus with Lemon Garlic Butter
Crisp tender Grilled Asparagus are tossed with lemon garlic butter and finished with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese. This simple grilled asparagus recipe can be made outdoors on a charcoal, pallet or gas grill or in an indoor grill pan.
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed
- 1 - 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese or more to taste
- Lemon slices as garnish (optional)
Trim the asparagus and quickly rinse them under cold running water. Pat them dry.
Heat the grill to medium-high heat (about 375 - 400 degrees Fahrenheit).
Lay the asparagus in a pan or a serving platter and drizzle them with oil. Season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
With kitchen tongs, place the asparagus on the grill (perpendicular to the grill grates) or in a grill basket. Make sure the spears are on an even layer. Grill for 4 to 8 minutes or until tender, turning occasionally so they char evenly.
Meanwhile, melt the butter and minced garlic in the microwave (or in a saucepan over low heat). Stir in the lemon juice and the fresh parsley.
Remove the asparagus from the grill and place them in a pan or serving plate. Pour the flavored butter over them and toss them gently. Top with grated Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.
- Don't skimp on the oil. Oil protects the spears from drying out and the delicate tips from burning.
- Grill asparagus over high heat (375-400 degrees Fahrenheit). Direct high heat caramelizes and chars the asparagus making them crisp and bringing out their natural flavor.
- Don't pre-cook or blanch asparagus before grilling them.
- If you are not sure if your asparagus are cooked through, check for doneness by poking them with a fork. They should be tender, yet firm.
Calories: 85kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 17mg | Sodium: 41mg | Potassium: 229mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 1055IU | Vitamin C: 7.6mg | Calcium: 55mg | Iron: 2.4mg