Baked Brie in Puff Pastry
Baked Brie in Puff Pastry is a quick, easy and elegant appetizer perfect to serve at any gathering or holiday party. This baked brie recipe has layers of flaky puff pastry, warm and gooey melted brie cheese and delicious cranberry sauce.
Servings 8 Servings
For the Cranberries
- 8 ounces dried cranberries
- 4 ounces dried cherries
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Cheese and Pastry
- 1 (13.2 ounces) Brie Cheese wheel (anywhere from 8 to 14 ounces will work)
- 1 package Puff Pastry thawed (one sheet will cover the cheese completely. You can use the second sheet to make some decorations if you cho0se to)
- About ¼ cup of flour for rolling the dough
- 1 egg
- For serving: Choose from French Bread sliced crackers, sliced apples, sliced pears, grapes
For the Cranberries
In a small saucepan over medium heat, place the cranberries, cherries and water. Make sure the water covers the dried fruit. Add more water if needed. Bring to a boil and lower the heat to low. Add the orange zest and vanilla extract. Simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool for about 10 minutes.
Line a baking sheet with a non-stick baking mat, parchment paper or foil.
Preheat the oven to 400 Fahrenheit
Dust your work space or counter with a little flour. Do the same to your rolling pin. Unroll one sheet of puff pastry gently and place it on the counter. Roll your pastry gently until it reaches about 11 x 11 inches. There is no need to measure it! We are just trying to make the pastry a bit thinner and get rid of the folding creases (slightly). If it breaks, wet your fingers with water and pinch the pastry dough back together. (Think of it as play dough and enjoy the process!!)
Follow one of the methods below.
Method #1 Super Easy
After rolling the pastry, place the round of brie in the middle. Top with the cranberries. Fold the corners over the cheese forming a neat package. Almost like wrapping a present. If you feel you have too much puff pastry in some areas, trim it with a sharp knife. Keep the trimmings to use for decorating.
Method #2 Easy
Lay the pastry on a dinner plate. Add the cranberries in the middle of the puff pastry. Place the cheese on top. Fold the corners over the cheese. This will be the bottom so you don’t have to be so neat.
Place the prepared sheet pan on top of the wrapped brie. Gently hold the dinner plate (don’t press too hard) and flip! Lift the dinner plate. Voila! The seams are down.
In a small bowl, combine the egg with about a tablespoon of water to make an egg wash. Cut decorative shapes from the remaining puff pastry. You can use cookie cutters if you wish. Using a pastry brush, gently brush the decorative cut outs with the egg wash and adhere to the wrapped brie. Brush the wrapped brie evenly with egg wash. Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.
Bake the brie for about 15-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes. This will give the cheese time to firm up a bit. Otherwise, it will all gush out. Not that there is anything wrong with that!
Serve with accompaniments.
- I am giving you 2 methods to wrap the brie cheese in puff pastry. Do whichever one makes you feel more comfortable. Just think play-doh that will cook beautifully as long as you cool it before baking!
- Allow the baked cheese to cool for 5-10 minutes before serving. This will allow the cheese to become a bit former and prevent all the cheese from oozing out.
Calories: 311kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 20mg | Sodium: 89mg | Potassium: 37mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 26g | Vitamin A: 535IU | Vitamin C: 0.3mg | Calcium: 22mg | Iron: 1.3mg