Best Homemade Chocolate Cake
This homemade Chocolate Cake is a one-bowl, quick and easy cake recipe made with very simple ingredients. Frosted with the best chocolate buttercream, this rich and fudgy chocolate cake has a tender, moist crumb and the most amazing chocolate flavor!
Servings 10 servings
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
To Make the Cake
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Butter two 8-inch round cake pans. Line the bottoms with parchment paper.
Whisk the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl or into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix until combined.
Combine the buttermilk, oil, eggs, and vanilla in a separate mixing bowl.
Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Next, add the coffee and stir with a spatula until combined.
Divide the batter evenly between the two prepared pans and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick or skewer comes out clean.
Allow the cakes to cool in the pans for about 30 minutes, then turn them out onto a cooling rack to cool completely before frosting.
To Make the Buttercream
In the bowl of a stand mixer using the paddle attachment or with a hand mixer, beat the butter until creamy.
Add the confectioners’ sugar, the cocoa powder and 3 tablespoons of half and half or whole milk, salt and vanilla extract. Beat on low speed for about 30 seconds, then beat on high speed for about a minute. Add additional confectioners’ sugar or cocoa powder (about 1/4 cup) if the frosting is too thin or half and half (one tablespoon at a time) if the frosting is too thick.
Assemble and Frost
If your cakes have a dome on top, level them flat by slicing off a thin layer from both cake tops.
Place one layer, flat side up, on a flat plate or cake pedestal. With a knife or offset spatula, spread a thin layer of buttercream on the top only. Place the second layer on top, flat side up, and spread the frosting evenly first on the sides and then on the top of the cake. You can pipe some of the frosting and garnish with sprinkles.
- Using buttermilk guarantees a moist and rich cake while adding great flavor. To make your own homemade buttermilk, place 2 teaspoons of white vinegar or lemon in a liquid measuring cup. Fill the measuring cup with milk until it reaches the 1 cup mark. Stir and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- For the cake batter, use natural cocoa powder. The buttercream frosting can be made with either natural cocoa or Dutch process.
- To make a cake in a 9x13 baking pan, bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 35-40 minutes.
- To make cupcakes, fill the cupcake liners only halfway and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 18-20 minutes.
- To store, bake and cool each cake layer and store them individually wrapped in the refrigerator for 2 days. You can also freeze each cake layer tightly wrapped for up to 3 months. You can freeze the frosted cake for up to 3 months.
Calories: 667kcal | Carbohydrates: 108g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 17g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 98mg | Sodium: 557mg | Potassium: 328mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 83g | Vitamin A: 812IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 83mg | Iron: 3mg