The Best Easy Guacamole
Enjoy the best, most delicious authentic Guacamole recipe. The perfect homemade guacamole is creamy, fresh and made with a few simple ingredients.
Servings 6 servings
- 1/4 cup red onions finely chopped (brown or white onions can be used)
- 1 - 2 jalapeño or serrano peppers seeded and finely chopped (remove the ribs for less heat).
- 3 tablespoons cilantro chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- 3 ripe Hass avocados halved and pitted
- 1 - 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice or to taste
- 1 ripe Roma tomato seeded and chopped (optional)
Combine the onions, jalapeño peppers, half of the chopped cilantro and salt in a medium bowl. With a fork, mash the ingredients together a few times. This will bruise the ingredients a bit making them aromatic. You can also mash the ingredients together in a traditional Mexican mortar and pestle (molcajete).
Scoop the flesh of the avocados into the bowl, discarding any bruised, browned areas. Mash the avocado coarsely or until it reaches your desired texture. I like a few small chunks to remain. Stir in the rest of the cilantro and lime juice. If you are using tomatoes, stir them in. Mix to combine and taste. Adjust salt and lime juice to taste.
- For the best flavor, only use ripe avocados and remove any and all brown spots from the avocado before mashing.
- Avocados are easier to mash when they are at room temperature.
- Dice the onions and jalapeños, smaller pieces meld better making the guac a lot tastier.
- Use fresh lime juice. The second best choice is fresh lemon juice. Bottled juice is never an option (unless you are in the North Pole).
- Mash the avocados with a fork or a pastry cutter and leave a few bigger chunks for texture.
- If the onions are strong tasting, place them in a mesh strainer, sprinkle some salt and toss to combine. Wait about 2-4 minutes and rinse under cold running water.
- Authentic Mexican guacamole does not include tomatoes but you can add them if you want. Deseed the tomatoes before adding.
Calories: 169kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 396mg | Potassium: 549mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 326IU | Vitamin C: 23mg | Calcium: 17mg | Iron: 1mg