The Best Reuben Sandwich
This homemade Reuben Sandwich recipe is the absolute best! Corned beef piled high with melted Swiss cheese, sauerkraut and tangy Russian dressing on buttery toasted rye bread. This Corned Beef Reuben is exceptionally delicious and easy to make!
Servings 2 sandwiches
- 2 1/2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon dill pickle relish
- 2 teaspoons fresh juice from 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon grated horseradish from a jar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 pound corned beef or pastrami thinly sliced
- 4 slices rye bread
- 3 tablespoons butter at room temperature
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup sauerkraut drained
In a bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, ketchup, pickle relish, lemon juice and horseradish until well combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
In a skillet over medium-low heat, add the corned beef and 2 teaspoons of water or broth. Heat the corned beef stirring as needed until warm. Remove from the heat.
Butter one side of each slice of bread. Lay 2 slices of bread, butter side down on a cutting board.
Spread some of the Russian dressing on each slice of bread. Top with corned beef, Swiss cheese and sauerkraut. Close bread slices to create a sandwich, butter side out.
Heat a large skillet over medium-low heat. Place the bread on the skillet and cook covered for about 3 minutes or until golden brown. Flip and cook the other side, uncovered until crispy and golden brown.
- Drain as much liquid as possible from the sauerkraut to prevent the sandwich from getting soggy.
- Good quality rye bread is key to the best Reuben sandwich ever!
- You can use a panini press or a griddle instead of a skillet, if you prefer.
- Cook the Reuben sandwich over medium-low heat for best results.
Calories: 806kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 41g | Fat: 55g | Saturated Fat: 29g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 169mg | Sodium: 2281mg | Potassium: 561mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1100IU | Vitamin C: 36mg | Calcium: 608mg | Iron: 4mg