Thai Tom Yum Soup (Thai Hot and Sour Soup)
Thai Tom Yum Soup (Thai Hot and Sour Soup) is one of the easiest and quickest soups to make. The full flavored broth is infused with lemongrass, ginger and Thai chiles. Plump Shrimp, straw mushrooms and fresh cilantro complete this delicious and warming soup.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
Servings 4 servings
- 2 quarts chicken or seafood stock
- 2 stalks fresh lemongrass, sliced in 2 inch pieces
- 5 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, sliced
- 2 red chiles (whole or sliced) see notes
- 6 tablespoons fish sauce
- 6 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 - 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 (15-ounces) can straw mushrooms
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled, deveined with tails on
- A handful of fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
To Make the Thai Broth
In a medium pot, bring the stock to a boil over medium heat. Add the lemongrass, lime leaves, ginger and red chile peppers and lower the heat to medium-low. Cover the pot an simmer for 20 minutes.
To Make the Soup
Uncover the pot and add the fish sauce, lime juice, brown sugar and red curry paste to the broth. Stir and simmer for 5 minutes.
Add the mushrooms and the shrimp and cook for 6 to 8 minutes or until the shrimp is cooked through. Turn the heat off and add the cilantro. Serve (see notes).
- When making the Thai broth, I usually add the chiles whole so I can control the heat level better.
- The lemongrass and lime leaves are not to be eaten. You can remove them before serving if you wish.
- Red Curry paste is spicy. If you are not familiar with it, add 1 tablespoon and taste. You can add more if desire.
Calories: 178kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 285mg | Sodium: 4737mg | Potassium: 700mg | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 215IU | Vitamin C: 76.9mg | Calcium: 216mg | Iron: 4.4mg