Tom Yum Soup (Hot and Sour Soup)
Tom Yum Soup is one of the easiest and quickest soups to make. This authentic Tom Yum Goon Soup recipe (Tom Yum with shrimp) is infused with lemongrass and lime leaves. This is one of the healthiest soups of Thailand. This tasty Thai soup is low-Carb, low-calorie and gluten free.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
Servings 4 servings
- 2 quarts chicken or seafood stock
- 2 stalks fresh lemongrass, sliced in 2 inch pieces
- 5 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, sliced
- 2 red chiles (whole or sliced) (see notes)
- 6 tablespoons fish sauce
- 6 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 - 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 (15-ounces) can straw mushrooms
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled, deveined with tails on or off
- A handful of fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
To Make the Thai Broth
In a medium pot, bring the stock to a boil over medium heat. Add the lemongrass, lime leaves, ginger and red chile peppers and lower the heat to medium-low. Cover the pot an simmer for 20 minutes.
To Make the Soup
Uncover the pot and add the fish sauce, lime juice, brown sugar and red curry paste to the broth. Stir and simmer for 5 minutes.
Add the mushrooms and the shrimp and cook for 6 to 8 minutes or until the shrimp is cooked through. Turn the heat off and add the cilantro. Serve (see notes).
- When making the Thai broth, I usually add the chiles whole so I can control the heat level better.
- The lemongrass and lime leaves are not to be eaten. You can remove them before serving if you wish.
- Red Curry paste is spicy. If you are not familiar with it, add 1 tablespoon and taste. You can add more if desire.
- Make the broth extra flavorful by making your own shrimp or prawn broth. Buy shrimp or prawns whole with heads and shells attached. Remove the head, peel the shrimp and reserve the shrimp meat. Make the broth as written with the addition of the shrimp/prawn heads and shells. Strain the broth before adding the rest of the ingredients.
- Remove some of the outer layers of the lemongrass, cut it in half and pound it to bruise it so it releases its aroma.
Calories: 178kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 285mg | Sodium: 4737mg | Potassium: 700mg | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 215IU | Vitamin C: 76.9mg | Calcium: 216mg | Iron: 4.4mg