Carrot Soup with Ginger and Turmeric
This creamy Carrot Soup is made with fresh carrots, ginger, turmeric and a touch of coconut milk. This delicious and easy to make carrot soup recipe is vegan, dairy free and gluten free.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 35 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
Servings 6 servings
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil, olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 small/medium sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1- inch piece fresh ginger peeled and minced or 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1- inch piece fresh turmeric, peeled and minced or 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 orange, freshly squeezed
- 6 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth, plus more if needed
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- ¾ cup coconut milk
- For garnish (optional)
- Coconut milk
- toasted pistachios
- bread croutons
In a soup pot or Dutch oven heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, carrots and sweet potatoes and saute, stirring frequently for about 4 minutes.
Add the ginger and turmeric and saute for another 3 minutes or until the onions are translucent and the vegetables look bright and glossy.
Add the freshly squeezed orange juice and the broth. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and cover the pan. Simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 20 - 25 minutes.
Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth. (or puree in batches in a blender or food processor). If using a regular blender or food processor, return the soup to the pot. Keep the soup on low heat and add the coconut milk. Season to taste with salt and ground black pepper. Simmer for 5 additional minutes.
Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with extra coconut milk (optional), toasted pistachios (optional) and bread croutons (optional)
- If you want to use carrots only, add 2 to 3 additional carrots and skip the sweet potato.
- You can keep the carrots with their peels if you prefer.
- If using a regular blender: Pour the soup into a blender, close the lid and hold the lid down with a kitchen towel before turning it on. Since the soup is hot, the steam will try to escape. This can cause the lid to fly off and create a hot mess!
- If the soup is too thick, you can add additional broth until you reach your desired consistency.
Calories: 185kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Sodium: 1048mg | Potassium: 602mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 25835IU | Vitamin C: 21.7mg | Calcium: 66mg | Iron: 1.4mg