Thai Red Curry Chicken with Vegetables
This Thai Red Curry Chicken with Vegetables is easy to make and so flavorful! Thinly sliced chicken and vegetables are simmered in a rich sauce made with creamy coconut milk and red curry paste.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
Servings 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, vegetable oil or olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1- inch piece ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 small onion or shallot, sliced
- 2 stalks lemongrass (white parts only) pounded and bruised
- 1-2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 2 cans coconut milk
- 3 Kaffir lime leaves (optional)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced into ¼-inch thick rounds
- 4 boneless and skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin slices
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 zucchini, cut into ¼-inch rounds
- 1-2 cups of broccoli florets
- 4 sprigs of Thai basil or regular basil, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped plus more for garnish
- lime wedges for garnishing
Heat the oil in a large heavy bottom pot over medium low heat, add the garlic, ginger, onions or shallots and lemongrass. Saute for 5 minutes stirring frequently making sure the garlic doesn’t burn. Add the red curry paste and sauté for a couple of minutes.
Pour in the coconut milk, Kaffir lime leaves (optional), chicken broth, fish sauce, soy sauce and brown sugar. Mix well to combine and bring to a quick boil. Lower the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes or until the sauce thickens a bit.
Add the carrots and chicken and cook for about 5 - 8 minutes. Add the red bell pepper and zucchini and cook for another 4 minutes or until the red bell peppers and zucchini softens. Add the broccoli florets, basil and cilantro. Mix well, cover the pot and cook for a couple of minutes. The broccoli cooks pretty fast so keep an eye on it.
Before serving, remove the lemongrass. Serve garnished with extra basil and cilantro and lime wedges if desired.
- If you don't have lemongrass you can use ½ teaspoon of lime or lemon zest.
Calories: 169kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 48mg | Sodium: 1018mg | Potassium: 624mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 4655IU | Vitamin C: 52.1mg | Calcium: 45mg | Iron: 1.1mg