Prime Rib Roast Recipe with Garlic and Herbs
This Prime Rib Roast Recipe is elegant, tasty, easy to make and perfect for the holidays! This Herb Crusted Prime Rib Roast is tender, juicy and cooked to perfection!
Servings 6 to 10 servings
- 6 - 10 pounds standing rib roast (bone-in prime rib)
- 6 garlic cloves (whole)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons sea salt or Kosher salt (plus more as needed)
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Additional salt and ground black pepper to taste (optional)
With a sharp knife, cut 6 small slits all over the prime rib. Insert the garlic cloves into the slits.
In a small bowl, mix the olive oil, fresh rosemary, fresh thyme, garlic powder, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon of ground black pepper.
I like to sprinkle the roast lightly with salt and ground black pepper before rubbing the herb/oil mixture. This is optional, however since we are cooking a large piece of meat I think a little extra seasoning is always a must. If you are sensitive to salt, you can skip this step.
Rub the herb/oil mixture all over the roast. At this point, if you are seasoning your roast hours ahead or overnight, refrigerate the roast uncovered until ready to bake.
If refrigerated, take the rib roast from the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before cooking. This will bring the meat to room temperature so it cooks more evenly.
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
Place the rib roast bone-side down in a roasting pan and place it in the pre-heated oven. Bake for 30 minutes.
Lower the oven temperature to 325 and cook until the internal temperature of the meat is 120 degrees Fahrenheit. Make sure the thermometer is exactly in the center of the roast.
Remove the rib roast from the oven and transfer it to a cutting board. Cover it tightly with aluminum foil and allow the meat to rest for 15 minutes.
Remove the bones and slice.
- Cooking time is approximately and based on a 6 pound roast. Exact time will vary depending on the weight of your roast.
- Time does not include any marinating/resting time in the refrigerator as this is optional but highly recommended.
- Nutrition facts are just an approximate and will vary depending on the weight of your roast
Calories: 1424kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 62g | Fat: 127g | Saturated Fat: 51g | Cholesterol: 274mg | Sodium: 978mg | Potassium: 1030mg | Vitamin A: 25IU | Vitamin C: 1.5mg | Calcium: 40mg | Iron: 6.7mg