Turkey Pot Pie with Biscuit Topping
Turkey Pot Pie is the perfect way to use up your holiday leftover turkey. Chunks of turkey and vegetables are baked in a creamy, rich and savory sauce and topped with a golden biscuit crust.
Servings 8 servings
FOR THE TURKEY POT PIE MIXTURE
- 12 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 cups cubed turkey meat (from leftover turkey)
- 8 - 10 ounces frozen peas and carrots
FOR THE BISCUIT TOPPING
- 1 cup biscuit mix such as Bisquick
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk I use whole milk)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
In a large pot or Dutch oven melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions and celery and cook for about 4 - 5 minutes or until the onions become translucent,
Whisk in the flour and cook for about 2 - 3 minutes stirring constantly. Slowly stir in about half of the stock. Pour in the remaining of the stock the stirring constantly until the mixture becomes smooth. Simmer for 2 - 3 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
Add the chicken bouillon, poultry seasoning, ground black pepper, dried thyme and heavy cream and mix to combine. Simmer for 1 to 2 minutes.
Add the cubed turkey meat and frozen vegetables. Mix well and and season to taste. Pour the turkey mixture into a 10-inch baking dish.
TO MAKE THE BISCUIT TOPPING
In a small bowl, combine the biscuit mix, egg and milk. Whisk until smooth and pour over the turkey mixture.
Bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until lightly brown.
- You can use turkey stock if you prefer.
- You can use a 9-inch deep pie baking dish to bake this Turkey Pot Pie.
- Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on the brands of ingredients used.
Calories: 500kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 16g | Cholesterol: 151mg | Sodium: 771mg | Potassium: 540mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 3560IU | Vitamin C: 4.5mg | Calcium: 92mg | Iron: 2.5mg