Cabbage Roll Soup
Cabbage Roll Soup has all the amazing flavors of stuffed cabbage rolls without all the work! This Cabbage Roll Soup recipe is loaded with ground beef, rice and veggies in a savory tomato broth.
Servings 6 servings
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups coarsely chopped green cabbage
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 4 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 (28-ounces) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley for garnish (optional)
In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the ground beef and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Cook the ground beef, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon for about 4 to 5 minutes or until cooked through and no longer pink. Drain any excess fat, if needed.
Add the onion and cook for 2 - 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for about a minute or until fragrant.
Add the cabbage, carrots, beef broth, crushed tomatoes, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, rice, and bay leaf and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, and season to taste.
Cover and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until the rice is tender, stirring a couple of times during cooking. Remove the bay leaf and discard.
Garnish with chopped parsley and serve.
- This is a thick soup (almost stew like). For a soupier consistency, add more broth.
- Make Cabbage Roll Soup in the Pressure Cooker/Instant Pot: Use the saute function and brown the beef, sauté the onions and garlic and follow the rest of the recipe. Close the lid and cook on high pressure for 14 minutes. Do a quick release. You will need an 8 qt. instant pot or bigger.
- To make Cabbage Roll soup in the slow cooker/crock pot: Brown the beef in a skillet, then sauté the onions and garlic. Place all the ingredients in the crock pot and cook on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 5-6 hours.
Calories: 214kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 46mg | Sodium: 817mg | Potassium: 591mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 3580IU | Vitamin C: 22.1mg | Calcium: 58mg | Iron: 2.9mg