Parmesan, Peas and Asparagus Risotto
This Parmesan, Peas and Asparagus Risotto is creamy, rich, decadent and full of delicate flavors. This easy risotto recipe is made the way Chefs make it in restaurants. No constant stirring required, no guessing how much broth to add, yet it produces perfect creamy risotto every time!
Servings 6 people
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
- 5 cups chicken stock, divided (use vegetable stock for an all vegetarian meal)
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed cut into about 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 8 ounces frozen or fresh peas (see notes)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Place the rice and 4 cups of broth in a pot or Dutch oven. Cover and bake for 45 minutes. (See Note #1)
While the rice cooks in the oven, melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the asparagus and saute for 3-4 minutes stirring a few times. Add the peas and saute for about a minute. (see Note #2 and #3) Remove from the heat and reserve.
Remove the risotto rice from the oven and place it on the stove top at the lowest heat setting. Add the remaining 1 cup of broth, wine and the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Stir well and vigorously.
Add the cheese and stir for a few minutes, until the rice is creamy. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Add the vegetables and mix to combine. Check for seasoning and serve hot.If your risotto gets a bit too dry, you can add more broth. 1/4 cup at a time!
- After 45 minutes of baking the broth should be almost all absorbed and the rice still a bit al dente.
Note # 3
- If you are using frozen peas like I did, don't worry if they are still cold. They will finish cooking in the risotto.
- If you are using fresh peas, add 2 additional minutes to the cooking time.
- The vegetables should be al dente (slightly under cooked) as they will continue to cook in the hot risotto.
Calories: 451kcal | Carbohydrates: 56g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 40mg | Sodium: 546mg | Potassium: 527mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 1240IU | Vitamin C: 19.7mg | Calcium: 222mg | Iron: 4.9mg