Pressure Cooker Chicken Masala
This Indian inspired Chicken Masala has the right balance of spices and creaminess and only takes 30 minutes to make! Chicken pieces are cooked in a flavorful tomato based sauce with spices you already have in your kitchen. This easy full flavored homemade curry recipe is one everyone will love!
Servings 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons butter or oil (divided)
- 1 cup diced onion
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (15-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped divided
- 1/4 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 8 bone-in chicken pieces (legs, thighs, breasts or a combination) skin on or off depending on your preference)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
Press the saute button on the pressure cooker. Heat up the butter or oil and add the onions, garlic and ginger. Cook stirring frequently for about 4 - 5 minutes or until the onions are soft and translucent.
Add the cumin, paprika, coriander, turmeric, cayenne and ground black pepper. Mix well to combine and cook for about a minute.
Add the crushed tomatoes, half the cilantro, half of the lemon juice, broth and chicken pieces. Mix well to combine.
Close and seal the lid. Set the manual timer for 20 minutes.
Let the pressure release naturally (about 10 - 15 minutes), then open and stir in the remaining cilantro, lemon juice and heavy cream. Adjust seasoning (salt) to your taste. Serve.
Calories: 864kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 59g | Fat: 64g | Saturated Fat: 20g | Cholesterol: 271mg | Sodium: 341mg | Potassium: 789mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 1390IU | Vitamin C: 17.7mg | Calcium: 83mg | Iron: 4.4mg