Cajun Chicken Meatballs in Creamy Sauce
These Cajun Chicken Meatballs are tender, juicy and packed with flavor. Perfectly golden brown and smothered in a rich and creamy Cajun sauce. Serve them over pasta, rice or with some toasty bread. This one-pot meal will become a family favorite!
Servings 24 meatballs
For the Meatballs
- 1 1/2 pound ground chicken
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning (read notes)
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
For the Creamy Sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 tablespooons flour
- 2-3 teaspoons Cajun seasoning (read notes)
- 1 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
To Make the Meatballs
In a medium bowl mix together the ground chicken, garlic, egg, Panko, Cajun seasoning, Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley. Mix until well combine but do not overwork the meat.
Form into meatballs (about 1-inch in diameter). This process is easier and the meatballs more uniform if you use an ice cream scoop.
In a large skillet heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium high heat. Add the meatballs - you may have to cook them in batches to prevent over crowding the skillet. Brown the meatballs on all sides, adding oil to the skillet as needed until all the meatballs are golden brown - they will not be cooked all the way through at this point! Remove the meatballs from the heat and unto a plate.
To Make the Creamy Sauce
In the same pan you cooked the meatballs, melt the butter over medium low heat. Add the onions and cook stirring often for about 4 minutes or until they become translucent. Add the bell peppers and cook for another 2 - 3 minutes.
Add the flour and cook stirring constantly for about 2 - 3 minutes. This is a "roux" and it will start to get deepen in color.
Slowly add the chicken broth whisking constantly until it thickens a bit. Add the Cajun seasoning and mix well. Return the meatballs to the skillet and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 8 - 10 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked through.
Stir in the cream and turn off the heat, Adjust seasoning. Add the chopped parsley and serve.
- I got 24 1-inch meatballs from this recipe.
- Although no one has actually reach out to me, I have read 2 comments on Pinterest saying the recipe was too salty. Not all store-bought Cajun seasoning mixes are created equal. Some may have a higher salt content than others. I tested this recipe multiple times with the Cajun seasoning I have at home (not homemade). My advice is, start with less if you are not sure. You can always add more salt or more seasoning!
Calories: 84kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 41mg | Sodium: 61mg | Potassium: 198mg | Vitamin A: 595IU | Vitamin C: 3.2mg | Calcium: 25mg | Iron: 0.6mg