Chicken Pozole Soup (Green Pozole)
Hearty and satisfying Chicken Pozole Verde or Green Pozole is a traditional Mexican stew, made with shredded chicken and white hominy in a flavorful and vibrant green chile broth. Incredibly easy to make, this pozole verde recipe is gluten-free, healthy and delicious.
Servings 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion peeled and chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper seeded, deveined and chopped
- 2 poblano peppers seeded and chopped
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 1 pound tomatillos husked, rinsed and quartered
- 8 cups chicken broth divided
- 1 small bunch fresh cilantro leaves and tender stems
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds boneless and skinless chicken thighs or breast
- 2 (15-ounces) cans hominy, drained and rinse
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon or more to taste - optional
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Thinly sliced radishes, sliced avocado, sliced jalapeños, lime wedges, fresh cilantro, shredded cabbage, tortilla chips
Heat the oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onions, jalapeños and poblano peppers and sauté stirring often for 3-4 minutes or until the onions start to become translucent. Stir in the garlic and tomatillos and sauté, stirring regularly for about 4-5 minutes or until the peppers have softened. Remove from the heat.
Transfer the onion mixture into a blender and add about a cup of chicken broth (cold broth is fine). Add the fresh cilantro and blend until the mixture is completely smooth. You can add additional broth, if needed.
Return the blended mixture to the pot or Dutch oven and add the remaining broth, dried oregano, ground cumin, ground coriander, bay leaf and salt. Stir to combine.
Add the chicken and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot partially and simmer for about 30 minutes or until the chicken is tender and cooked through.
Transfer the chicken to a plate or cutting board and shred it with two forks. Return the chicken to the pot and stir in the hominy.
Cook uncovered for 10 minutes over medium heat. Taste the soup and stir in the chicken bouillon if the soup lacks depth of flavor. Simmer for about 5 minutes and season to taste with salt and ground black pepper.
Serve in soup bowls garnished with your favorite toppings.
- You can use two (15-ounces) cans or one (28-ounces) can of hominy.
- Drain and rinse the hominy before using it.
- Husk and rinse the tomatillos. After removing the paper-thin husk, you will notice that the tomatillos are sticky. This is normal and easily removed by rinsing the tomatillos with lukewarm water.
- Store chicken pozole verde in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
Calories: 285kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 36g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 0.02g | Cholesterol: 103mg | Sodium: 1735mg | Potassium: 967mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 358IU | Vitamin C: 48mg | Calcium: 61mg | Iron: 2mg