Pasta with Zucchini and Garden Veggies
Pasta with Zucchini and garden veggies is a delicious vegetable pasta recipe loaded with flavor! This simple veggie pasta is smothered in a light tomato sauce and topped with Parmesan cheese!
Servings 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 - 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- ½ red onion, diced
- 1 small red bell pepper, sliced and cut into small bite size pieces
- 1 large zucchini, sliced in half lengthwise and cut into chunks
- 1 large yellow squash, sliced in half lengthwise and cut into chunks
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tomatoes, chopped into chunks
- ½ cup pitted Kalamata olives, roughly chopped (I prefer to get the ones packed in water)
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- Red pepper flakes to taste
- 12 ounces short pasta, such as Farfalle (bowties) or penne
- Torn basil leaves
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese or more to taste
Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add a generous amount of salt and 1 tablespoon of butter. Cook pasta according to package directions until al dente. While the pasta is cooking, start cooking the vegetables.
In a medium sauté pan over low heat, add the olive oil and the chopped garlic. Let the garlic simmer in low heat for a few minutes stirring occasionally. You want the garlic to slowly infuse the oil while making sure it doesn’t turn brown.
Turn the heat to medium and add the onion, red bell pepper, zucchini and yellow squash. Add the Italian seasoning, dried oregano and salt and pepper to taste. Cook for about 4 minutes or until the onions are translucent and the vegetables are partially cooked. Add the chopped tomatoes, Kalamata olives, capers and red pepper flakes. Mix gently, cover and cook for about 5-7 minutes.
Drain pasta and reserve about 1 cup of the cooking liquid.
Return the pasta to the pot and add the cooked vegetable mix, the basil and a bit of the reserved cooking liquid. Mix to combine. Add parmesan cheese and adjust seasoning. The cooking liquid helps to create a sauce so your pasta is not dry. Serve and top with more Parmesan cheese.
- This recipe can be made with any vegetable of your choice. You need about 5- 6 cups of chopped or sliced veggies.
- You can use canned chopped or crushed tomatoes if you prefer.
Calories: 336kcal | Carbohydrates: 50g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 6mg | Sodium: 393mg | Potassium: 471mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 1202IU | Vitamin C: 44mg | Calcium: 147mg | Iron: 2mg