Cheesy Smashed Potatoes with Garlic and Herb
These Smashed Potatoes are crispy on the outside, fluffy and creamy in the inside and smothered in savory garlic and herb butter and cheese. Serve these roasted red potatoes as a side dish or appetizer.
Servings 4 servings
- 12 small red skin potatoes
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil *see notes
- 2 fresh sprigs of rosemary (whole)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoons fresh rosemary, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup shredded cheese (Mozzarella, Provolone, White Cheddar or a combination) *see notes
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
Place the potatoes and rosemary sprigs on a sheet pan. Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle some salt. Toss the potatoes to coat with the oil,
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until tender.
In a small pan over low heat, melt the butter. Add the minced garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine. Let the butter get infused with the garlic and rosemary for a couple of minutes making sure the butter doesn't get brown. You could do this step in the microwave also.
Remove the roasted potatoes from the oven and gently smash them with a potato masher.
Pour a little bit of the melted herb butter on each smashed potato. Top with shredded cheese.
Return the potatoes to the oven. Bake for 3-4 minutes or until the cheese melts and is a bit golden on the top. Serve hot/warm.
- I love roasting potatoes with lots of oil as the outside of the potato gets crispier. You can use 1 - 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- When I feel lazy I use pre-shredded Italian blend cheese (don't judge!)
You can use any cheese you prefer. Mozarella, Monterrey Jack, Fontina, White Cheddar and Provolone are good options!
Calories: 325kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 33mg | Sodium: 176mg | Potassium: 957mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 385IU | Vitamin C: 44.8mg | Calcium: 103mg | Iron: 1.8mg