Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
This Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe is loaded with shredded chicken, vegetables, tortilla strips and spices in a tasty tomato broth. This hearty Tortilla Soup recipe is the absolute best!
Servings 6 servings
- 1-2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 stalks of celery large diced
- 4 carrots peeled and large diced
- 1 small green bell pepper large diced
- 1 - 2 jalapeno peppers seeded and finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 28- ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 10 cups low sodium chicken broth (2.5 qts)
- 4 heaping cups shredded chicken
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 6 fresh white corn tortillas cut crosswise into about ½ inch strips
To Serve (Pick your favorites)
- Sour cream or Mexican Crema
- Shredded Cheese Cheddar, Pepper Jack or Mexican blend
- Tortilla Chips
- Sliced Avocado
- Lime wedges and chopped cilantro
- Sliced Jalapenos
In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat up 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions, celery, carrots, green bell pepper and jalapeno. Sautee for about 5 - 6 minutes or until the onions become translucent. Add the garlic and cook for about 1 –2 minutes.
Lower the heat to medium low and stir in the oregano, cumin, coriander and salt. Stir in the crushed tomatoes and chicken stock. Bring to a boil. Add the shredded chicken, tortilla strips and the fresh cilantro. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Serve the soup hot, top with sour cream or Mexican crema, shredded cheese, sliced avocado and tortilla chips. Garnish with lime wedges and chopped cilantro if desired.
Calories: 281kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 12mg | Sodium: 634mg | Potassium: 752mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 7040IU | Vitamin C: 25mg | Calcium: 82mg | Iron: 1.9mg