Citrus Salad with Basil Vinaigrette
This Citrus Salad with Homemade Basil Vinaigrette is light, healthy, easy and quick to make. Sliced citrus, creamy avocado slices and salad greens are drizzled with the best basil dressing and topped with toasted pistachios.
Servings 6 servings
For the Basil Vinaigrette
- 1 cup loosely packed basil leaves
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ½ cup olive oil
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
For the Salad
- 1 pink grapefruit
- 2 oranges
- 2 blood oranges
- 2 tangerines
- 1-2 avocados, seeded, peeled and sliced
- 5 ounces mesclun mix (baby spinach, arugula, butter lettuce or kale can be used)
- ¼ cup pistachios shelled and lightly toasted
- Salt and Pepper to taste
To Make the Vinaigrette
Put the basil leaves, red wine vinegar and garlic cloves in a blender. Cover the blender and blend on high speed. You may need to stop and push the ingredients down with a spoon.
Add the Dijon mustard and honey and blend for about a minute. With the motor running on a lower speed, add the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste and blend on high for a couple of minutes or until smooth. Reserve.
To Make the Salad
Carefully peel the citrus, removing as much pit as possible. Slice into wheels. Remove any seeds. Peel the tangerines and separate into segments.
Arrange the salad greens on a platter or large bowl. Arrange the citrus and avocado slices on top. Top with pistachios and lightly season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with desire amount of vinaigrette.
- The citrus ingredient list is just a guideline, use whatever citrus fruit you like.
- You can make this citrus salad ahead of time! Peel and slice the citrus fruit the day before and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- You can also make the amazing homemade basil vinaigrette ahead of time. Store the basil dressing in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5-6 days.
Calories: 309kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 20mg | Potassium: 458mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 1329IU | Vitamin C: 56mg | Calcium: 60mg | Iron: 1mg