Carlota de Limon (Mexican Icebox Cake)
This Carlota de Limon no-bake lime icebox cake has sweet and tangy layers of creamy lime filling in between crispy Maria cookies.
Servings 8 servings
- 1 (12-ounces) can evaporated milk
- 1 (14-ounces) can sweetened condensed milk
- Juice of 6 limes (about 3/4 cup of lime juice)
- 2 (6-ounces) packages Maria cookies (you can use graham crackers also)
Whipped Cream for decorating the top:
- 1 cup (240 ml) cold heavy cream or heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
To garnish: (optional)
- Lime zest, lime slices, berries, Maria cookie crumbs
Make the Icebox Cake:
Prepare your pan. Line the bottom and the sides of a 6 x 3 inch springform pan with parchment paper making sure the parchment paper extends about 1/4-inch higher than the sides of the pan.
Add the evaporated milk, condensed milk and lime juice to a blender. Cover and process at medium speed until well blended.
Spoon about 2-3 tablespoons of the lime cream mixture into the prepared pan.
Spread evenly to cover the bottom of the pan. Top with a layer of cookies. Break up the cookies into smaller pieces to cover open areas.
Add some of the lime cream mixture (about 1/2 cup), smooth the cream with a small spatula, then top it with a layer of cookies. Continue layering until there are no more ingredients left, ending with the creamy lime mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
Prepare the Whipped Cream:
- Remove the cake from the pan using the overhang parchment paper on the sides.
- You can substitute galletas marías with layers of vanilla wafers, vanilla biscuits or graham crackers.
- This easy recipe can be made with key limes when in season.
- If you don't have a springform pan, you can use a baking dish or casserole.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving. Overnight is better!
Calories: 338kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 63mg | Sodium: 121mg | Potassium: 344mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 35g | Vitamin A: 673IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 272mg | Iron: 1mg