Arroz con Leche (Spanish Rice Pudding)
This Arroz con Leche recipe or Spanish Rice Pudding made with rice and three types of milk makes the most satisfying, rich and creamy dessert.
Servings 4 servings
Place the water, rice, cinnamon and cloves in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally until the rice becomes tender, about 18 minutes.
Using a fine mesh strainer, strain the liquid and discard the cinnamon stick and cloves. Return the rice to the pot and stir in the evaporated milk, condensed milk and whole milk.
Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat then, reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring constantly for about 20 minutes or until the mixture thickens. It’s important to stir making sure the rice is not sticking to the bottom of the pot. The sweetened mixture can burn very quickly.
Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract and raisins. Pour mixture into a bowl or into individual portioned serving cups or bowls. Dust with ground cinnamon to taste.
- You can soak the raisins in 3 tablespoons of rum or bourbon while the rice is cooking. Drain them and then stir them into the pudding as stated in the recipe.
- After you add the milk, keep an eye on the rice mixture. It's important to stir so the rice doesn't burn and get stuck at the bottom of the pan. Because of the sugar content from the condensed milk, the mixture can burn quickly.
- This recipe uses condensed milk as a sweetener. If that doesn't make this dessert sweet enough for your taste, add granulated sugar.
- Although it's possible to make rice pudding non-dairy, this recipe has not been tested with almond milk, oat milk, cashew milk, coconut milk or any other plant-based milk.
- If the pudding consistency is a bit too thick, (starch in the rice varies), add additional milk to thin it out. Whole milk or evaporated milk should work.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 5-6 days.
Calories: 267kcal | Carbohydrates: 55g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 6mg | Sodium: 52mg | Potassium: 277mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 103IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 115mg | Iron: 1mg