Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup
This Chicken Enchilada Soup is loaded with shredded chicken, black beans and corn and topped with your favorite fixings! This creamy, cheesy and hearty Enchilada Soup is made entirely in the slow cooker!
Servings 6 servings
- 1 cup masa harina
- 2 cups water
- 1 pound boneless and skinless chicken breast
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (19-ounces) can red enchilada sauce (mild)*
- 1 (14.5 ounces) can stewed tomatoes**
- 5 cups chicken stock (homemade or store bought)
- 1 (14 ounces) can black beans
- 1 (14 ounces) can corn kernels, drained (or frozen corn if you prefer)
- 16 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1-2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Shredded cheese, tortilla chips, chopped onions, sour cream, chopped cilantro.
In a medium bowl, whisk the masa harina with 2 cups of water until well combined making sure you don't have any lumps. Set aside.
Place the chicken breast at the bottom of the slow cooker. Sprinkle the chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper over the chicken breast.
Add the onions, garlic, enchilada sauce, stewed tomatoes, chicken stock, the masa harina mixture, black beans and corn to the slow cooker.
Stir, cover and cook on LOW for 6 - 8 hours or on HIGH for 4 hours.
Remove the lid and shred the chicken with two forks. Add the cheese and mix well until all the cheese has melted. Check for seasoning. Add chopped cilantro (optional) and mix well.
Serve warm with your choice of toppings.
* Get the mild enchilada sauce unless you can handle "fuego" type heat.
**Use Mexican recipe stewed tomatoes, if available. Otherwise original recipe is fine. If you can't find stewed tomatoes you can use crushed tomatoes instead.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary depending on the brand of ingredients used.
Calories: 541kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 42g | Fat: 30g | Saturated Fat: 17g | Cholesterol: 133mg | Sodium: 1245mg | Potassium: 643mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 920IU | Vitamin C: 2.5mg | Calcium: 591mg | Iron: 2.9mg