Mexican Chopped Salad with BBQ Chicken
This Mexican Chopped Salad is loaded with fresh veggies and chickpeas tossed in a simple and flavorful Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette. Topped with tender spiced rub BBQ chicken and tortilla strips, this easy chopped salad is a complete meal!
Servings 6 servings
For the Chicken
- 1 pound chicken breast, boneless and skinless
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil (olive, canola or vegetable)
- 3/4 cups BBQ sauce, plus more for topping the salad if desired
For the Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 4 heaped cups Romaine lettuce
- 1 cup cooked corn kernels (if frozen, thawed - if canned, drained)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup red onions, sliced thinly
- 1 cup canned garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 avocado, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/4 + tortilla strips
To Make the Chicken
In a small bowl mix together the cumin, garlic powder, chile powder, salt and pepper.
Place the chicken on a plate and brush with about 1 teaspoon of oil. Rub the chicken with the spice mixture. If you have time you can let it marinade for 30 minutes or up to 4 hours in the refrigerator.
If cooking the chicken on the stove top: In a large saute pan over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the chicken and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes per side or until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink.
If Cooking on the Grill: Brush the grill with the remaining oil. Grill the chicken for about 5 to 6 minutes per side or until cooked through and no longer pink.
Transfer the chicken to a bowl and let it rest for 5 minutes, then slice it. Add the BBQ sauce and toss to combine.
To Make the Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette
Place the lettuce, corn, tomatoes, onions and garbanzo beans into a large salad bowl. Drizzle some of the vinaigrette and toss to combine. Add the avocado and toss gently. Add more vinaigrette if need it.
Top with sliced chicken. Garnish with tortilla strips and chopped cilantro. Drizzle some BBQ sauce on top if desired. Serve
Calories: 468kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 31g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 48mg | Sodium: 1182mg | Potassium: 709mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 559IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 40mg | Iron: 2mg