Fresh Strawberry Cake with Strawberry Buttercream
This Strawberry Cake recipe is tender, moist and full of bright flavors. Topped and filled with the best, most decadent strawberry buttercream, this made from scratch homemade strawberry cake will become a new favorite!
Servings 12 servings
FOR THE STRAWBERRY CAKE
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter ,softened to room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Food coloring (Americolor gel in electric pink or similar) (optional)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 large egg white
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cups finely chopped strawberries
FOR THE STRAWBERRY BUTTERCREAM
- 1 1/2 cup freeze-dried strawberries (about 15 grams)
- 1 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 4 to 5 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ to ⅓ cup milk or heavy cream
- Pinch of salt
- Fresh Strawberries (optional)
To Make the Strawberry Cake
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease and flour two 8" or 9" round cake pans.
Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium mixing bowl. Set aside.
Using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter, sugar and vanilla together on medium-high speed until smooth and pale (about 3 minutes).Scrape down the sides and the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed. Add the eggs and egg white one at a time, allowing each to incorporate before adding the next one Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
With the mixer on low speed, add about half of the flour mixture, alternating with half the milk. Add the remaining flour mixture and milk and mix to combine. With the help of a spatula, gently fold in the strawberries.
Divide batter evenly between the two prepared cake pans. Bake the cakes for about 40-44 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the tops are lightly browned. Remove from the oven and place them on a wire rack. Allow the to cool completely before assembling.
FOR THE STRAWBERRY BUTTERCREAM
With a food processor or a blender, process the freeze-dried strawberries into a fine powder. Set aside.
Using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium speed until creamy, about 2 minutes.
With the mixer on low, slowly add half of the powdered sugar, the vanilla extract, the milk or cream and mix until smooth. Slowly add the remaining powdered sugar, the strawberry powder and salt. With the mixer on medium speed, mix until completely smooth, about 3 minutes. If the frosting is too stiff, add more milk. If it's too thin, add more powdered sugar.
ASSEMBLE THE CAKE
To assemble the cake, with the help of a serrated knife or cake leveler, remove the domes from the top of the cool cakes so that they’re flat. Place one layer on a plate or cake stand and cover the top with strawberry buttercream frosting. Spread the buttercream evenly with an offset spatula.
Add the second layer of cake on top, cut surface down. OPTIONAL: For a sturdier cake, you can refrigerate the cake for about 10 minutes before continuing frosting. After 10 minutes, remove the cake from the refrigerator and continue. Spread the remaining frosting on the top and around the sides. Garnish with strawberries if desire. Chill for 20 minutes before serving.
- To Make Ahead: Bake the cakes and make the frosting 1 day in advance. Cover the cakes tightly and keep at room temperature or in the refrigerator until ready to assemble. Keep the prepared frosting in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Store the frosted cake covered, in the refrigerator for up to 5 days
- Freezing: Unfrosted cake layers freeze well. Wrap them tightly and place them in an airtight container to prevent freezer burn. Freeze for up to 2 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Frosted cake can be frozen, wrapped tightly, up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and bring to room temperature before serving.
Calories: 835kcal | Carbohydrates: 129g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 41g | Saturated Fat: 25g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 11g | Trans Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 151mg | Sodium: 568mg | Potassium: 671mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 95g | Vitamin A: 1293IU | Vitamin C: 376mg | Calcium: 121mg | Iron: 9mg