Very Berry Bread Pudding Recipe
This Bread Pudding recipe is made with tender brioche bread soaked in a rich sweet custard and loaded with strawberries, raspberries and blueberries. This irresistible bread pudding is scrumptious and a great summer dessert!
Servings 8 servings
- Butter for greasing the baking dish (about 1 - 2 tablespoons)
- 1/4 cup sugar (to coat the baking dish
- 8 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup milk whole milk or 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups mixed berries strawberries, raspberries and blueberries pictured in this recipe
- 2 tablespoons berry liquor (Chambord) - (optional) Grand Marnier can be used as well
- 8 cups brioche bread, cubed or torn into 1 inch chunks
- Whipped cream for serving (optional)
- Extra Berries to garnish (optional)
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
Butter an 8 x 11.5 inch (2 qt) baking dish and coat it with the 1/4 cup sugar
Trimming the berries: Rinse/clean the berries. Trim the strawberries and if they are large, cut them in half or quarters. You want all the berries to be somewhat similar in size in size.
In a medium bowl mix the berries. Pour the berry liquor over the berries and mix gently. Let the berries sit on the counter for about ten minutes. *See notes
In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs with the sugar and vanilla. Add the heavy cream and milk and whisk until well blended.
Place the bread cubes in a single layer inside the prepared baking dish (use a little more than half the amount of bread for this layer).
Pour half of the custard mixture over the bread. Press lightly so the bread absorbs the custard.
Spoon half of the berry mixture (and their juices, if any) over the custard soaked bread.
Top the berries with the remaining bread cubes and pour the rest of the custard over it. Press lightly. Place the remaining berries on top.
Bake for about 55 minutes to 1 hour or until set in the center. The top should look a bit golden.
Remove from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving. This will help the bread pudding set a bit so it is easier to serve.Serve with whipped cream and garnish with extra berries (optional).
- Challah, French bread or white bread can be used.
- If not using berry liquor (or grand marnier) skip that step.
- Frozen berries can be used.
Calories: 625kcal | Carbohydrates: 77g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 30g | Saturated Fat: 16g | Cholesterol: 269mg | Sodium: 252mg | Potassium: 233mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 54g | Vitamin A: 1280IU | Vitamin C: 2.3mg | Calcium: 141mg | Iron: 2.1mg