Instant Pot Artichokes
Instant Pot Artichokes are cooked to tender perfection in very little time in the pressure cooker. Preparing and cooking artichokes couldn't be easier or more delicious!
Servings 4 servings
- 4 medium sized artichokes
- 4 lemon slices (optional but recommended)
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced (optional but recommended)
- 1 bay leaf or a rosemary spring, optional
Cut the stem off flush with the base of the artichoke bulb.
Remove any woody outer leaves.
Slice off about 1 inch from the top of the artichoke.
Use kitchen shears to trim the ends of the leaves.
Pour 1 cup of water in a 6 quart instant pot or 2 cups of water in an 8 quart instant pot. Add the lemon slices, garlic cloves and bay leaf or thyme (optional) into the instant pot.
Place the steaming rack in the pot.
Place artichokes on top of the steaming rack, top side facing up.
Close and lock the lid.
Cook on manual high pressure for 20 minutes (please check notes).
When the cooking cycle is complete, quick-release the pressure.
Open the lid and remove the artichokes with kitchen tongs.
You can test for doneness by pulling a leaf. The leaf should be easy to remove.
- Exact cooking times will vary depending on the size of the artichokes.
- Harvesting time also has an effect on the overall texture of the artichoke. Artichokes harvested from early spring to early summer require less cooking time than the ones harvested in late summer through fall.
- Artichokes Harvested on Early Spring /Early Summer Cooking Times: Small Artichokes: 10 to 12 minutes
Medium Artichokes: 13-15 minutes
Large Artichokes: 16-18 minutes
- Artichokes Harvested on Late Summer /Late Fall Cooking Times:
Small Artichokes: 16-18 minutes
Medium Artichokes: 20 minutes
Large Artichokes : 22 minutes
Calories: 94kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 123mg | Potassium: 629mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 42IU | Vitamin C: 73mg | Calcium: 87mg | Iron: 2mg