This hearty, healthy and delicious Lentil Salad is made with tender cooked lentils, crisp cucumbers and tomatoes, creamy feta cheese and lots of fresh herbs tossed in a simple and flavorful lemon vinaigrette.
- 1 cup lentils (French, green and brown lentils work best)
- 4 cups of water (you can also use broth)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 English cucumber, finely diced
- 3 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, cut in half through the stem or quartered
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 4 - 6 ounces of feta cheese, diced
- 3 tablespoons freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, pressed or minced
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
Sift through the dried lentils and pick out any small stones or stray bits. Rinse the lentils in a fine mesh sieve under cold running water.
Add the lentils, water and bay leaf in a pot. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered for about 20 to 30 minutes or until tender.
Drain and remove the bay leaf.
Place the cooked lentils, cucumbers, scallions, tomatoes, parsley, basil and mint in a salad bowl and toss to combine.
In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together the lemon juice, mustard, garlic, salt and black pepper together. Slowly, whisk in the olive oil to make an emulsion.
Pour the desired amount of dressing over the salad and toss gently to coat all the vegetables. Add the feta cheese and season with salt and black pepper. Toss gently and serve.
- Lentil salad will keep stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
- The lemony salad dressing will keep in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
- Nutrition facts calculate the salad and all of the salad dressing.
Calories: 339kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 42mg | Sodium: 555mg | Potassium: 546mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 844IU | Vitamin C: 21mg | Calcium: 285mg | Iron: 4mg