The Ultimate Grilled Veggie Sandwich ~ with Fresh Mozzarella and Basil Aioli
This Grilled Veggie Sandwich is a masterpiece! Loaded with marinated grilled vegetables, fresh mozzarella and a super flavorful and easy to make basil aioli.
Servings 4 servings
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick rectangles
- 2 medium yellow squash, sliced lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick rectangles
- 2 medium bell peppers (red, orange and/or yellow), seeded and quartered
- 1 small eggplant, sliced into 1/2 inch rounds
- 1 small red onion, slice into rounds
- 2 portobello mushrooms
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 8 slices wholegrain or sourdough bread OR 4 ciabatta bread rolls
For the Basil Aioli
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup fresh basil leaves (packed)
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- Salt and pepper to taste
Place a grill pan over medium-high heat or heat up an outside grill to medium-high heat.
Mix the olive oil and balsamic vinegar and pour over the vegetables. Toss to combine. Season with salt and ground black pepper to taste. Marinade for 10 minutes and up to 30 minutes.
Working in batches, grill the vegetables until tender and lightly charred all over, flipping once. About 8 to 10 minutes for the bell peppers; 7 minutes for the yellow squash, zucchini, eggplant, onion and mushrooms. Remove from the grill and set aside.
Toast the bread on the grill or in a toaster.
Spread the bread with a layer of the basil aioli.
Layer each vegetable on bottom half of bread. Top with mozzarella cheese. Replace top half of bread, aioli side down, and press. Cut each sandwich in half with a serrated knife and serve.
To Make the Basil Aioli
Add the mayonnaise, basil leaves, garlic and lemon juice to a blender or food processor. Process until smooth.Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Calories: 801kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 60g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 62mg | Sodium: 932mg | Potassium: 962mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 2905IU | Vitamin C: 112.9mg | Calcium: 415mg | Iron: 3.7mg