The Best Lasagna Soup
This Lasagna Soup recipe has all the hearty and delicious flavors you love in a traditional lasagna in one easy to make soup! This Lasagna soup is loaded with sausage, ground beef, tomatoes, Italian herbs, ricotta cheese, Parmesan and melted mozzarella.
Servings 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped finely
- ½ pound Italian sausage
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 1 15-ounces can petite diced tomato
- 1 28-ounces can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 6 cups chicken broth low-sodium if preferred, plus more as needed
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 8 lasagna noodles broken into bite-size pieces
- 1 ½ cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 8 – 12 ounces ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons of fresh basil plus more to garnish
In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook for about 4 minutes or until the onions start to soften. Add the sausage and ground beef and cook, stirring occasionally until browned. Stir in the minced garlic and sauté for about a minute. Drain any excess fat if needed.
Stir in the diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste and broth. Stir in the Italian seasoning and dried oregano. Season with salt and ground black pepper to taste.
Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
While the soup simmers, cook the lasagna noodles in a separate pot according to package directions until al dente (you want the pasta tender but not overly soft as it will be added to the soup).
In a mixing bowl, stir together the shredded mozzarella, grated Parmesan and ricotta cheese. Set aside.
Stir the cooked lasagna noodles into the soup along with the fresh basil. Thin the soup with additional broth, if desired.
To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and top with a dollop of the cheese mixture. Garnish with additional basil, if desired.
- You can use ground chicken or ground turkey instead of ground beef and turkey or chicken sausage instead of Italian pork sausage.
Calories: 564kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 38g | Fat: 30g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 104mg | Sodium: 1543mg | Potassium: 767mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 400IU | Vitamin C: 21mg | Calcium: 307mg | Iron: 4mg