The Ultimate Cajun Burger
This Ultimate Cajun Burger is packed full of Cajun-Creole goodness! A moist Cajun spiced beef patty is topped with gooey cheddar cheese, sautéed onions, bell peppers and Andouille sausage. A true explosion of flavors!
Servings 4 serving
For The Sausage and Peppers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided, plus more for cooking the burgers
- 14 to 16 ounces andouille sausage sliced
- 1 large onion chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 small green bell pepper chopped, into bite size pieces
- 1 small red bell pepper chopped, into bite size pieces
- 1 small yellow or orange red bell pepper chopped, into bite size pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- Salt to taste (about 1 teaspoon)
For the Burgers
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef (I used ground chuck 80% lean-20% fat)
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
To Assemble the Burger
- 4 burger buns
- 4 slices Cheddar Cheese
- Lettuce leaves (I used Butter lettuce)
- Condiments to your taste (I used mayonnaise, mustard and ketchup)
To Make the Cajun Saute
In large skillet or cast iron skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium high heat. Add the andouille sausage and saute for about 6-7 minutes or until the edges start getting golden brown. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
Lower the heat to medium and add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil into the skillet. Add the chopped onions and peppers and saute stirring frequently for about 8-10 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Do not rush this process. You want your vegetables to develop flavor and a little bit of color.
Add the garlic cloves, Cajun and Creole seasonings and cook stirring frequently for about 2-3 minutes. Add the vinegar and soy sauce and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes. Season with salt to taste Return the andouille sausage to the skillet and mix to combine. Cover and reserve.
To Make and Cook the Burgers
If using a Grill:
Build a charcoal fire until the coals glow bright orange and ash over or heat a gas grill to high. Brush the burgers with oil. Place the burgers on the grill and cook for about 3-4 minutes or until golden brown and lightly charred on the first side. With a spatula flip over the burgers and cook for another 4 minutes for medium rare. Cook longer for well done.
Top the burgers with cheese on the last minute of cooking and cover the grill to melt the cheese.
If using a Sautee Pan or Griddle:
Heat about 1 tablespoon of oil over high heat. Place the burgers on the grill and cook for about 3-4 minutes or until golden brown and lightly charred on the first side. With a spatula flip over the burgers and cook for another 4 minutes for medium rare. Cook longer for well done.
Top the burgers with cheese on the last minute of cooking. Tent some aluminum foil over the top to melt the cheese.
Calories: 765kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 42g | Fat: 52g | Saturated Fat: 20g | Cholesterol: 150mg | Sodium: 675mg | Potassium: 748mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 2470IU | Vitamin C: 43.6mg | Calcium: 324mg | Iron: 5.9mg