BBQ Chicken Salad
This BBQ Chicken Salad is packed with goodness and flavor!! BBQ Chicken, juicy tomatoes, sweet corn, creamy avocado, black beans, onions, shredded cheese and crispy tortilla strips are all tossed with delicious Ranch dressing.
Servings 4 servings
For the Chicken
- 1 pound chicken breast boneless and skinless
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil olive, canola or vegetable
- 1 cup BBQ sauce divided
For The Salad
- 5 heaped cups Romaine lettuce
- 1 cup cooked corn kernels if frozen, thawed - if canned, drained
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/4 cup red onions chopped or sliced thinly
- 1 cup canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup Monterrey Jack cheese shredded
- 1 avocado peeled and cut into small chunks
- 1 tablespoon cilantro finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Ranch dressing
- 1/4 cup tortilla strips
To Make the Chicken
In a small bowl, mix together the cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, salt and pepper.
Place the chicken on a plate and brush with about 1 teaspoon of oil. Rub the chicken with the spice mixture. If you have time, you can let it marinate for 30 minutes or up to 4 hours in the refrigerator.
If cooking the chicken on the stove top: In a large saute pan over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the chicken and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes per side or until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink.
If cooking on the grill: Brush the grill with the remaining oil. Grill the chicken for about 5 to 6 minutes per side or until cooked through and no longer pink.
Transfer the chicken to a bowl and let it rest for 5 minutes, then slice it. Add 3/4 cups of the BBQ sauce and toss to combine.
To Assemble The BBQ Chicken Salad
Place the lettuce, corn, tomatoes, onions and beans into a large salad bowl.
Top the salad with the chicken, sprinkle the shredded cheese and chopped cilantro. Pour the Ranch dressing and the remaining 1/4 cup of BBQ sauce and toss gently to combine. Top with crispy tortilla strips and serve immediately.
- Instead of tortilla strips, you can use lightly crushed tortilla chips.
- This salad doesn't keep well after it has been tossed with the Ranch dressing and/or the BBQ sauce.
Calories: 545kcal | Carbohydrates: 51g | Protein: 33g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 90mg | Sodium: 2251mg | Potassium: 1024mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 27g | Vitamin A: 3861IU | Vitamin C: 15mg | Calcium: 183mg | Iron: 4mg