Apple Crumb Pie
Dutch Apple Pie also known as Apple Crumble Pie, has a homemade flaky crust, a delicious cinnamon apple pie filling and the most amazing buttery sweet streusel topping!
Servings 8 servings
- 1 Recipe Single Pie Crust
For The Filling
- 5 large apples cored. peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch thick (about 8-10 cups total) (I use a combination of Granny Smith, Pink Lady and Fuji apples)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest (optional)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
To Make The Filling
In a large bowl, toss the apples, lemon juice, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon zest (if using), and sugar. Mix to combine. Set the filling aside while the oven preheats.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
Roll out the chilled dough on a floured work surface. Roll the dough from the center to the edge, turning the dough until you have a circle of about 12 inches in diameter. Carefully place the dough in a 9 x 2 inch pie dish.
Spoon the filling into the crust and with a paring knife, trim the excess pie dough off the edges and crimp the edges.
To Make The Crumble
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar and cinnamon. Using a fork, mix in the butter until crumbly.
Sprinkle the crumble over the apples and place the pie on a baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, reduce the heat to 375 degrees and bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Poke the center of the pie with a skewer or a knife to make sure the apples are soft in the center/middle.
Remove the pie from the oven and allow it to cool for about 20 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- If you notice that the pie topping is getting brown too early, place a piece of aluminum foil over the pie.
- When baking pie, always set the pie plate on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. The baking pan will catch any spills that may occur. It also makes removing the pie from the oven a lot easier!
Calories: 480kcal | Carbohydrates: 80g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 31mg | Sodium: 94mg | Potassium: 177mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 50g | Vitamin A: 416IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 34mg | Iron: 2mg