The Best Cinnamon Buns
These Cinnamon Buns are big, fluffy, and full of delicious gooey cinnamon flavor. These cinnamon rolls are the absolute best irresistible breakfast treat!
Servings 6 large buns
For the Dough:
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 (1/4-ounce) packet active dry yeast (2 1/2 teaspoons)
- 1/4 cup plus 1/4 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour plus more if needed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter melted, plus more to grease the mixing bowl
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the Glaze:
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
Make The Dough
In a small pan over medium-low heat or in a microwave safe bowl, heat up the milk to about 100 -110 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove from the heat (or from the microwave) and sprinkle in the yeast and 1/4 teaspoon of sugar. Set aside for about 5 minutes or until foamy.
In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the hook attachment (if using a regular mixer use the beaters), mix in the flour, the 1/4 cup of sugar, salt and nutmeg. Pour in the yeast mixture, the melted butter, egg yolk and vanilla and mix on low speed for about 1-2 minutes or until the dough is well combined. Stop the mixer and scrape the sides of the bowl. Beat on medium speed for about 5-6 minutes or until the dough gathers together into a ball and no longer clings to the sides of the bowl. (if using the hook attachment, the dough will cling to the hook). The dough should be smooth and soft. If your dough is too wet, add additional flour in small increments (about a tablespoon at a time).
Fill the Roll
On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a 12 x 14 inch rectangle. Spread the softened butter on top. Mix together the cinnamon and sugar. Sprinkle it all over the dough. Roll up the dough tightly into a cylinder, starting with the long side. Pinching the edges to seal. Cut into 6 even rolls and arranged in a greased 9 x 13 baking pan, cut side down, leaving space between each roll.
Make the Glaze
To make the glaze, whisk together the confectioners' sugar, heavy cream and melted butter.
Drizzle the glaze over the cinnamon buns (while still warm) and serve.
- If the yeast doesn't get bubbly, that means the yeast is dead. You need to start again with new yeast.
- Make sure you don't overheat the milk. Milk (or any liquid) that is over 110 degrees will kill the yeast.
- If heating the milk in the microwave, heat it in 20 second increments to prevent the milk from overheating. If the milk overheats, quickly cool it in the fridge.
- MAKE AHEAD INSTRUCTIONS: You can make, fill, roll and cut and place the rolls in the baking pan. Cover and place in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator and let them rise in a warm environment for about 1 to 1.5 hours.
Calories: 844kcal | Carbohydrates: 114g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 41g | Saturated Fat: 25g | Cholesterol: 137mg | Sodium: 318mg | Potassium: 139mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 67g | Vitamin A: 1287IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 110mg | Iron: 3mg