This foolproof Oven Baked Sweet and Spicy Asian Chicken Wings are extra crispy, a little sticky, deliciously sweet and a lot spicy!
I started this blog with the idea of sharing with you all the secrets, techniques and tricks I’ve learned and practiced throughout the years while working in the food industry. Restaurant quality foods cooked at home daily is what this blog is all about! From healthy to scrumptious ~ all foods in moderation!
Now when it comes to wings, I can assure you restaurants do not bake their chicken wings (at least not that I am aware of)!! Wings always go into the hot deep fryer and oh boy they are delicious and addictive!
The idea of a big ol’ pot of hot oil on my stove top doesn’t always thrill me. Yes, once a year when I feel brave, I make homemade fried chicken, but for the most part I try to avoid deep frying at home like the plague!!
So, when my oldest son reminded me of the Sweet and Spicy Asian Chicken Wings I used to serve at a restaurant in Southern California, I knew it had to be another way to get crispy wings at home.
I immediately remember an article I read in Cook’s Illustrated and went searching for it! Also, after a quick Google search, I got inspired by this easy to follow recipe by Recipe Tin Eats and because I have to know why and how things work, I learned all the scientific facts at one of my favorite places The Food Lab (I love them). If you are like me and love to know the science behind it all, you can find all the facts and the recipe at Serious Eats
So armed with a wealth of knowledge I tried the oven baked crispy wing method and the results were amazing!!
Here’s how it works:
- Set your oven! You will need two oven racks. One at the lower-middle part of the oven and the other rack at the top-middle part – easy!
- Pat dry your chicken wings with paper towels (Note alert: if you are organized and have time, you can place your chicken wings uncovered in the refrigerator for a couple of hours – this will dry them out)
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees Fahrenheit
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and lay a cooling rack or baking rack on top. Spray the rack with cooking spray.
- Place the wings in a big mixing bowl or a reseal-able plastic bag and add baking powder (this and the different cooking temperatures is what makes the wings super crispy!) Toss to coat.
I don’t use any other spices for this particular recipe (like salt or pepper) because the sweet and spicy Asian sauce has plenty of flavor!
- Shake off any excess baking powder and place the wings on the prepared baking sheet skin side up. The wings will shrink a little so don’t be afraid to fit them snugly.
- Bake at 250 degrees Fahrenheit on the lower-middle oven rack for 30 minutes.
- Move the wings to the upper-middle rack and increase the oven temperature to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes turning the wings once during the cooking time.
- Remove the tray from the oven and let the wings rest for 5 minutes.
- Mix the wings with the sauce, add some sesame seeds, sliced scallions and enjoy!
Oven Baked Sweet and Spicy Asian Chicken Wings
Yes, they are truly as crispy as deep fried wings! Easy to make, healthier and mess free! a win(g)-win(g) situation!
If you want to use the oven-baked method described above with a different sauce, feel free to add about 3/4 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper to the baking powder.
PIN IT FOR LATER – because you know you will want to make these!!
Things you May Need