These golden, moist and tender lemon and herb roasted chicken thighs are packed with so much flavor. The vibrant taste of lemon and the freshness of the herbs make this easy dish out of this world delicious!
When I was growing up, every year for my birthday my grandmother used to ask me what meal I wanted her to make on my special day. Since about the age of 10, I gave her the same answer – every single year! Lemon and Herb Roasted Chicken!
Every time I think about my grandma’s delicious Lemon and Herb Roasted Chicken, the amazing taste and aromas come to my mind, so clearly that I can almost taste it! I feel transported back home and those great memories make my heart happy!
Of course, my grandma never wrote the recipe down! No surprise really! She will put you to work in the kitchen and always expect you to learn by watching and doing (somehow doing the dishes was also a part of learning something…. not sure what though).
Lemon and Herb Roasted Chicken
Throughout the years I have tried to recreate her recipe and I think this is the closest I have ever come to grandma’s perfect, full flavored and vibrant Lemon and Herb Roasted Chicken. The fact that it’s easy to prepare makes it even better! I throw the marinated chicken in a sheet pan and roast it away! I usually put a second sheet pan full of veggies in the oven to cook at the same time. That way I have a complete meal by the time the chicken is out of the oven!
- Even though I used bone-in and skin-on chicken thighs for this recipe, you can use any other part of the chicken that you prefer.
- You can marinate the chicken for up to 12 hours. I usually marinate it for 2 hours but if I am in a rush I cut that time short. It still tastes amazing!
- I am so crazy in love with the flavors of the marinade that I have used it to marinate turkey, salmon, shrimp and even veggies.
- You can grill or pan sear the chicken instead of roasting it in the oven. Just adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Marinating Time: 1 to 12 hours
- 1 shallot roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup extra virgen olive oil
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 bone in, skin on chicken thighs
- Salt and pepper to taste to lightly season the chicken
- To prepare the marinade, in a food processor or blender combine the shallot, garlic cloves, basil, cilantro, olive oil, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, salt, pepper, cumin and cayenne pepper. Puree until smooth.
- Lightly season the chicken with salt and pepper. Place the chicken in a large zip top bag or non-reactive container and pour the marinate over the chicken. Mix to combine making sure the chicken is coat evenly. Marinate for 2 hours or up to 12 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Place the chicken in a sheet pan or baking dish. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until cooked through and golden brown. Remove from the oven and serve.
If your chicken is not golden to your likeness, you can turn on the broiler and broil for about 3-5 minutes.