About Lemon Blossoms
Welcome to my home on the web! Food to me is so much more than a way to sustain myself. Food is about creating memories, bringing family together and sharing your love with others. When it comes to food my motto is “all in moderation” so here you will find a variety of the foods I cook at home, for my family everyday.
- Quick and easy everyday meals ~ because I am a wife and a mom on the run (chauffer anyone?) and as much as I love cooking, I also enjoy napping, reading, scrapbooking and have a list of TV shows I must watch.
- Healthy recipes ~ because I believe in the healing power of foods and the effect food has in our bodies. I also have the responsibility to create good eating habits for my children.
- Decadent and scrumptious ~ because sometimes nothing hits the spot like bread, butter, cheese and chocolate (and wine of course!)
- Simple and rustic ~ because I love cooking with my kids, and sometimes the results are not picture perfect (especially if the hubs is in the kitchen too) but what matters to me, is that everyone is involved. The fact is, we will remember those moments together in the kitchen getting dirty, playing with dough, butchering (I mean chopping) veggies and fruits, talking, tasting, eating. That’s what is all about!
- Restaurant quality at home ~ because it is possible and more affordable than eating out!
I’m a culinary school graduate and have worked in the food industry for many years. I’ve held many positions from prep cook to Executive Chef. I have catered small and large events, taught cooking classes, worked as a private chef, dishwasher, recipe and product developer and as a culinary consultant.
I’ve been fortunate enough to work for The Food Network and for amazing chefs like Wolfgang Puck and Bobby Flay (WP Cooking Class and Throwdown with Bobby Flay). I wish I could say it’s all fun and glam, but the truth is, it’s a lot of work, lots of hours, lots of burns and cuts and standing on your feet. I loved every minute of it!!
Even though my father was Greek and some of my mom’s side of the family are German, I consider myself Latina all the way!
- 50% Greek + 25% German + 25% Peruvian = 100% Latina
saved by grace + mom of boys + hot geek’s wife + family 1st + foodie + feisty & loud + coffee & wine + art & paint, T1D mom = ME
My love for Cooking
I was born in Lima, Peru and raised in the beautiful northern city of Trujillo. Growing up I enjoyed tasting new dishes and trying new restaurants. I can’t even tell you how often I got sick from eating in less than desirable places. It was all so worth it though! I got to try amazing “hole in the wall” places, I ate “papa rellenas” (stuffed potatoes) out of a guys tricycle! (in his defense he kept the greasy fried potatoes warm in cardboard boxes). You don’t believe me? check him out here.
I even got to drink “batidos” (fruit smoothies) at the local mercado – my mom never approved of this but there wasn’t much she could do to stop me! I just had this adventurous spirit when it came to food.
My grandmother Rebeca (my mamáma) cooked for our family and everyone else that would show up at the house, she went to the mercadito (small local market) almost daily. Her recipes were made from scratch and out of this world delicious! Grandma always tried to engage family and friends into the meal preparation; if you walked through the kitchen she would put you to work! She would give everyone a job ~ either getting fresh green peas out of their pods, trimming green beans, peeling potatoes, squeezing lemons, sorting beans and removing debris from rice, oh how many times we got stuck sorting rice grain!
Meals were an experience, a time to enjoy each other, a time to share, laugh, talk, and talk and talk… hours later we were still talking.